Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Worry Warts Unite!


     I am a self proclaimed worry wart. I diagnosed myself with “worry-wartitis” during my early teens when I found myself waking up in the middle of the night worrying about what the next day entailed. “Worrying about the future will only give you wrinkles and high blood pressure” explained my mother.  With neither of those options sounding appealing to me, I asked myself: What was the point of worrying over small, and often ridiculous, issues?

     I still have episodes of “worry- wartitis” occasionally to this day, and this particular article really speaks to me. However, when I catch myself worrying about certain things I really try to focus on the positive outcomes of that certain situation, rather than the negative outcomes.  Studies have shown that those who practice positive thinking have lower rates of stress, depression and cardiovascular diseases, and have increased coping skills and resistance to the common cold.  As a stress-laden society, I believe we can all seriously benefit from positive thinking.
Resource: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/positive-thinking/SR00009


Deborah Marin

No comments:

Post a Comment